Come and enjoy our fantastic activities! Everyone is welcome at Higher Folds Community Centre
Bristles Art Group
Leigh Folds JFC
Rainbows, Brownies and Guides
WEA Computer Courses
Meet Our Team
Our wonderful team will be here to help you and welcome you to the centre
Our achievements and brief history
1998 – Private Limited Company formed
1999 – Registered as a Charity
1999-2007: All activities led by volunteers
2007 – Building refurbished and extended by Coalfields Regeneration Trust
2008-2013: BIG Lottery Reaching Communities Funding awarded.
- Paid staff appointed to deliver activities
- 137 people attended training courses each week to improve life chances
- 210 people gained IT skills
- 2,590 attendances at confidence building courses
- 70 people each week attended exercise and healthy eating classes
- Click here for Evaluation of the Project
2013 – Completed Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses course
2013- 2016 – Wigan Council Community Investment Fund Grant of £90,000 awarded
- 106 people gained work related skills and qualifications
- 4 new business start-ups
- 141 people took part in sport and health activities each week
- 112 people attended the Centre each week to reduce their isolation
117 young people attended the Centre each week, reducing youth offending on the estate.
2014 – Higher Folds 2 Year Olds Nursery opened to offer early years education and generate trading income.
2016 – Hosted the Wigan Council Deal 2020 consultation event
2016 – Leigh Folds Junior Football Club for boys and girls formed
- – 60 boys and girls ages 6-16
2016-2019 – BIG Lottery Reaching Communities Funding awarded for
- Improving the fitness and health of local people. Over 130 each week.
- Improving life skills and chances of employment. 31 people used our activities.
- Reducing isolation of local residents. Over 150 each week
- Engaging volunteers. 40+ engaged.
2017 – Higher Folds Nursery rated “Good” by Ofsted
2017 – “Tiny Tots” pre-Nursery sessions introduced for parents and 0-2 year olds
2017 – Wigan Council Community Investment Fund Grant of £9,400 awarded for fitness and health of local residents.
- 64 Nursery children learnt to swim
- 14 football coaches gained level 1 and 2 coaching badges
- 70 people attended weekly “social” walks
- 54 people attended weekly “social” rides
- Karate, Pilates and Yoga sessions introduced at the Community Centre
- Lease of football pitches adjacent to the Community Centre from Wigan Council